Thursday, November 18, 2010

ARTFUL THURSDAY: Many Shades of Minotaur- Grabbing Art By The Horns

So, I was doing some research for a post soon to come about Pyanopsion (Ancient Greek lunar month of October to November) and a festival held therein called Pyanopsia which Theseus began in honor of Apollo's aid in killing the dreaded Minotaur. Then I read a post by a writerly friend named Amalia Dillin who happens to be a Theseus scholar as well as a fantastic writer. And in her post she retold a bit of the Theseus and Minotaur myth from Ariadne's POV. Do click through to her post above.

At any rate, I decided to put the Minotaur in front of the spyglass and see what sort of art I could dig up. Truly, a half-man/ half-bull can conjure soooooo many interpretations. The Cretan beast has been immortalized from Greek myth all the way to video games. Enjoy.



















3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the shout out!!

    A while back I also wrote a short flash piece of the death of the Minotaur for a murder blogfest, if you're interested (not to be one of those people, but I am going to give you a link: http://blog.amaliadillin.com/2010/04/murder-scene-blogfest.html ).

    I think the marble and bronze statues are underestimating the Minotaur's horns. I wish that we had more Theseus art. So much of it is all Theseus as a youth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Amalia; I like the last two pictures best. They really bring out the beast. I don't get around as much as I'd like, but yes, I really enjoy Amalia's Theseus writings.

    You have a great take on mythology yourself Chris. Sometime I go from one blog to the other; to get the sense of perspective changes. You write from the male, she the female. I find both blogs fascinating. I can't say I always "get it"; but I like it.

    I haven't been around much lately due to some internet connection problems, but I'm liking how you're getting out there a bit more Christopher.

    I tried reading your erotic blog for a while, but it just wasn't something I was into often.

    See you around more - I hope - now that it appears my blog/internet issues seem to be cleared up. Have a good evening.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amalia- I'll definitely check out your other Minotaur post. Thx for commenting.

    @Donna- Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. I have taken a more aggressive role in the blog recently. And I'm focusing all my energies on YA and historical fiction for right now. (leaving that other blog alone)

    ReplyDelete